.Net Developer extraordinaire, Certified Umbraco and Sitecore CMS developer, eCommerce consultant, father, cricket nut, cyclist and occasional musician. Founder of CrocodileApp
, Technical Director at Koan
and always up for a conversation about tech, science or just anything interesting. I can also bake a mean carrot cake when the fancy takes me.
Who've I worked with you ask?
Here are some of the names of clients I've worked with over the years. The sites vary across many industries and sizes, with some running to many hundreds of thousands of pages. If you need any more details, please get in touch.
I tend to sell myself as a Lead Developer - I can plan architecture for a system, create technical documentation, plan the development, manage and work with a team of programmers and designers, user experience specialists and copywriters; project manage the process and when it all comes down to it, I can do the development too. That last one is a bit of a speciality of mine.
How about some actual detail?
If you really want to know everything get a hold of my CV - use the form below and we can talk. Once I can eliminate the possiblity that you're one of those really lazy recruitment consultants - the bad kind , who just spam everyone, I'm happy to send you a full CV. The highlights are below.
- 10+ years as a .net Developer building Windows applications, Web sites, Intranet sites, custom Content Management Systems, Web services and Libraries.
- Extensive systems architecture experience planning and implementing large scale systems - typically with hundreds of thousands of individual items across multiple sites.
- Happy to work with custom builds and Content Management systems for desktop, tablet and mobile responsive web builds.
- Database architecture and development experience of over a decade: planning, scripting, building, optimising and performance tuning massive databases that deal with millions and millions of records as well as customer details.
- Scrum and Agile methodologies used for project management. Waterfall too but there are better ways of doing things - ask me about them sometime.
- Full understanding and appreciation of TDD, unit testing, acceptance testing, automated cross browser testing, automated regression testing.
- Source control? I've probably used them all. Git and Mercurial are my favourites at the moment, but SVN is fine too and the rest are ok. SourceSafe? Do me a favour and do yourself one too - move on.
- Strong grasp of User Experience and a love of simplification - KISS has a lot to be said for it.
- Active on open source and online communities - I try to stay abreast of the latest things going on in the world and incorporate them when I can. I'm fairly active within the Umbraco community and Stack Exchange and try to contribute back to the open source world whenever I can.
I'm Not a designer
I love designers. They can translate the vague discussions with clients into beautiful designs that cry out "build me". I don't do that. I know plenty and have worked with a lot of fantastic ones, and I can even recommend a few great ones. Even this website was based on a template. I play to my strengths - Development and all things Technical.
I have a young family - a wonderful wife and two beautiful daughters and we're debating whether to add a cat or a dog to our little group. Or maybe an axolotl. Oh - and I love Bristol - it's a fantastic place to be!